Almost all investor agree on one thing: there are so many gold IRA companies to choose from, probably too many. It is recommended to choose one with a solid reputation in their field and that has been around for a long time.
If you're wondering what's the best gold IRA company, this guide is made for you.
Best for beginners
A+ Better Business Bureau Grade
Gold, Silver, Platinum & Palladium
- 1-on-1 care from specialists
- experienced team
- low annual fees
Best overall option
A+ Better Business Bureau Grade
Available metals: Gold & Silver
- non-pushy sales approach
- custodians from Equity Trust
- member of ethics.net
A good alternative
A+ Better Business Bureau Grade
Gold, Silver, Platinum & Palladium
- easy account setup
- high-quality customer care
- 20 years of experience
Table of Contents
- #1: Augusta Precious Metals (online only)
- #2: Birch Gold Group (online only)
- #3: Noble Gold (online only)
- #4: Buckingham Advisors
- #5: Goldco (online only)
- #6: Regal Assets (online only)
- #7: Equity Trust: the best custodian for your gold IRA
- To sum up our analysis of the best gold IRA companies in the U.S
- Frequently Asked Questions About Gold IRAs
- Who is Eligible for a Gold IRA?
- What Types of Retirement Accounts Are Eligible to Rollover to a Gold IRA?
- Are There Penalties for Moving Funds From an IRA or Other Retirement Plan to a Gold IRA?
- Can I Personally Possess My Gold?
- What Does a Custodian Do?
- Can I See My Gold?
- How Do I Know My Gold is Safe in the Depository?
- What Happens Once My Account has Been Funded?
- What Type of Gold Can I Purchase for My Gold IRA?
- How Long Does it Take to Rollover My IRA?
#1: Augusta Precious Metals (online only)
Augusta Precious Metals is another respected online Gold IRA company that's highly notable for its years of experience and award-winning services. They are also a multiple-time top ranker of TrusLink's best-of list.
As a client, according to them, you can expect the best in industry commitment in addition to the most premium gold and silver bullion and coins to choose from to diversify your retirement account according to quality standards.
They also pride themselves on being transparent to help build a trustworthy relationship.
Their highly knowledgeable specialists also extend their efforts to providing inside information that's not widely shared by other industry professionals to help you make the best decisions to meet your retirement savings goals.
They even give you a free gold IRA company checklist which can be found here.
They also take extra care to help simplify the sign-up process for their Gold IRA by helping you with the necessary paperwork and streamlining other transfer and rollover tasks. Read our full review of Augusta Precious Metals on this page to learn more.
- They also offer a self-directed IRA to provide you with more control of your own physical non-paper gold assets.
- Very low setup and annual fees
- Once your account is open, your chosen custodian will remain with you to help build your account and manage your distributions when it's time to liquidate and more.
- Their Gold IRA custodians also carefully vetted and selected from Equity Trust for the best service.
- Your precious metals are stored in the Delaware Depository, which is one of the best secured IRS compliant private depositories in the U.S., and they also provide up to $1 billion in all risk insurance and more.
- Their precious metals specialists are also led by on-staff Harvard-trained economists for the most practical knowledge.
- You can only choose from one secured depository.
Our rating: 5/5
#2: Birch Gold Group (online only)
The Birch Gold Group is an experienced and respected team of dealers in gold and other precious metals.
In fact, their specialists consist of former wealth managers, financial advisors, commodity brokers, and more from Dun & Bradstreet, Citigroup, and more.
And together, they provide years of combined applied work in the field and varied financial perspectives to yield the most well-rounded advice.
They also have their own in-house IRA Department to answer all your Gold IRA enrollment questions, including if there are any taxes or penalties associated with your rollover or transfer.
Their company is also regularly featured on major news and media outlets for its outstanding performance.
- They're proven industry leaders with positive ratings from BBB and more.
- They also educate their customers to make sure they understand Gold IRA investments for greater empowerment when supplying their retirement accounts.
- Customers receive 1-on-1 care from precious metals specialists right from the start to help meet their specific needs and goals.
- Exchange-approved depository for CME & ICE.
- They recommend you begin with a minimum of $10,000 in a retirement account to set up a Gold IRA account with them.
Our rating: 5/5
#3: Noble Gold (online only)
Noble Gold is also a leading online gold and silver IRA company that helps you diversify your retirement account with precious metals.
In fact, they have over 20 years of experience dealing with precious metals transactions totaling over $200 million in gold and silver assets.
Their skilled team of professionals also pride themselves on helping their clients gain a safe, friendly, honest, and in-depth understanding of how to increase their alternative investments using their valuable knowledge, educational resources, and trusted advisors.
They also consult CPAs, estate planning attorneys, and financial agents throughout the precious metals industry and can also connect their customers to other highly-knowledgeable professionals in a variety of fields for even greater success.
And if at anytime your circumstances or goals change and you want to sell your gold, the company also offers a no qualms buy back program with no questions asked.
- Their gold bullions and coins are fabricated to meet IRA metal purity standards.
- They offer a free gold and silver investment guide.
- They pride themselves on providing high-quality customer care.
- They offer top-notch security and photographic proof of purchase .
- They also offer various resources to help you learn more about purchasing physical gold, including news articles.
- They only offer one choice for secured depository.
Our rating: 4.5/5
#4: Buckingham Advisors
Buckingham Advisors are a team of Chartered Retirement Planning counselors (CRPC), Investment Adviser Certified Compliance Professionals (IAACP), certified financial planners, and more who are committed to using their professional expertise to help investors plan and secure the financial future they want.
As part of their services, they use their innovative thinking to help you create customized portfolios for your 401(k), pension plans, TSP, and more based on your individual goals and time horizons.
They also assist with rollovers from qualified employer plans and coordinate your retirement plan portfolio with strategic asset placement and more.
- Their diverse team of professionals provides different financial expertise to help coordinate your various investment needs.
- It's easy to access your account as well as your other investment accounts with other investment firms via their client services, and they also offer a mobile app.
- They also provide clients with various educational resources to increase their investment knowledge, including webinars and events, weekly market recaps, and more. This way they can make more savvier choices.
- Their team also consists of tax strategists and CPA accountants for expert tax help.
- Their gold IRA services are not specifically laid out on their website.
#5: Goldco (online only)
Goldco is an online leading company of precious metals in the industry with over a decade of experience helping customers protect their retirement savings.
In fact, they are rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau and Triple-A by the Business Consumer Alliance, which attests to their excellence.
Their dedicated team of professionals provides you with a wealth of knowledge via their many years of expertise and library of valuable free resources to help you make the most informed investment choices.
They also work right along with you to safely diversify and grow your retirement portfolios and take control of your financial future. In some cases, a Gold IRA can even outperform the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones.
When you are ready to open an account, they will also assist you throughout the process for added ease, and they also offer a self-directed IRA, which gives you greater control over the assets in your IRA.
They also work with only the most reputable mints around the world for the highest-quality gold to build your IRA. You can read our detailed analysis on Goldco here.
- Customers can transfer or rollover funds from an existing IRA, 401k or other qualified account.
- Customers can also fund their account with silver and other precious metals.
- Gold IRA approved .995 fineness
- The company also buys back gold at highest price with their GoldCo Buyback guarantee
- They also offer a free kit to help get you started.
- They do not provide tax or legal advice.
#6: Regal Assets (online only)
Regal Assets has had the highest rating profile in the precious metals industry for over 10 years in a row and is officially recognized by Forbes, INC 500, and more as one of the most trusted companies in the business.
They have also successfully assisted with hundreds of millions in retirement account transfers, including SEPs, IRA, 401(k), TSP plans, and more.
Customers can also rest assured that once you fill out the online form, a team specialist will quickly get back to you within 24 hours to help guide you through the process of moving your funds.
They will also work with your custodian to transfer any of your existing accounts to your Gold IRA.
- They are the highest rated alternative assets firm in the U.S.
- They also enable you to diversify and grow your IRA with crypto.
- They provide all necessary education to make sure you are 100% confident before moving forward.
- They boasts a non-pushy sales approach to suit the specific needs of customers and not commissions or sales quotas.
- They also provide a transparent fee and commission schedule, so you know all costs before you sign up .
- They don't state if they offer tax advice or tax services.
#7: Equity Trust: the best custodian for your gold IRA
Equity Trust is an industry-leading IRS-approved custodian company that prides itself on empowering individual investors with the tools and technology they need to remove the barriers to investment freedom.
Their custodians will handle all custodial and administrative duties required for your gold IRA retirement account, and they also have 45 years of experience in the field, which has earned them a reputation for unmatched service.
The company is also regulated by the South Dakota Division of Banking and audited annually in accordance with AICPA professional standards for account security and more.
Account-holders can also invest in silver, platinum, and palladium as part of their IRA.
- They offer tax advantage accounts, including traditional and Roth IRAs.
- They walk you through the account set up for less hassle.
- They also help you understand the IRS rules that supply to your account.
- They help you choose from the nation's leading depositories and ensure secure storage and protection of your assets once you have completed your purchase.
- They provide plenty of educational resources to help you make informed investment choices, including information on self-directed IRA accounts, precious metals in an equity trust account, and more.
- The company does not provide tax advice or tax services as part of your account.
To sum up our analysis of the best gold IRA companies in the U.S
As for all the Gold IRA companies mentioned, Augusta precious metals and Birch Gold Group stand out as our top picks for their top-notch recognition and many years of experience in the industry
They also both offer an abundance of educational resources that truly make them a one-stop-shop for all your gold IRA investment needs.
Furthermore, Augusta's custodians are sourced from Equity Trust, which has been the nation's leading IRA provider for over 30 years, and they have successfully managed more than $25 billion in assets.
Meanwhile, Birch Gold offers the highest-rated buy-back price guaranteed, which also makes you feel more confident when making your purchase.
Both companies also provide storage in secured, insured depositories; however, Augusta works with the Delaware Depository, which is considered one of the most secured depositories in the U.S.
You will find below a list of the most frequently asked questions about gold IRAs. Don't forget to check out our guides about the best places to retire in Ohio. If Ohio isn't for you, why don't you read our top 15 US States to retire in? You can also go back to the home page to see our latest articles.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gold IRAs
Who is Eligible for a Gold IRA?
Any individual who has earned income is eligible for a gold IRA.
What Types of Retirement Accounts Are Eligible to Rollover to a Gold IRA?
Just about any retirement account can be rolled over to a Gold IRA, including 401k, 403b plan, 457, SEP IRA, and Pensions and TSP accounts.
You can also convert a Roth IRA to a Gold Roth IRA. Many other retirement accounts may also be rolled over to a Gold Roth IRA, provided you perform a Roth IRA conversion when making the transaction.
Are There Penalties for Moving Funds From an IRA or Other Retirement Plan to a Gold IRA?
When you perform a transfer or direct rollover of your IRA or another retirement account to a Gold IRA, the funds are moved directly from one account trustee to another, so the account holder is not taxed or penalized.
However, should you choose an indirect rollover, meaning the funds in your retirement account are issued directly to you, and then you are trusted to redeposit the funds into the Gold IRA yourself, there may be penalties if you do not complete the transaction within 60 days.
After this time, it is deemed by the IRS as an early distribution and subject to taxes.
Can I Personally Possess My Gold?
Unfortunately, IRS rules state that to meet the requirements of a retirement account, the gold in your IRA must be purchased by an account custodian on your behalf and then stored in a depository.
However, once you reach retirement age, which is currently 59 1/2, you can take physical possession of the gold. Or you can simply have the Gold IRA company issue you a cash payment in exchange for the gold.
What Does a Custodian Do?
The custodian is required to purchase the gold for your IRA on your behalf and then provide administrative and reporting services on the account until you reach retirement age. They also offer investment advice.
However, if you have a self-directed IRA account, the custodian will purchase the gold in your account per your instructions.
Can I See My Gold?
Though you cannot take personal possession of your gold for your IRA, you can make arrangements with your custodian to physically view it once it is delivered to the depository facility.
How Do I Know My Gold is Safe in the Depository?
Gold depositories have state-of-the-art security systems, rigid access controls, and other top-notch physical security features to ensure restricted access to the facility.
The depository also insures your gold against losses while it's in their care for added peace of mind.
What Happens Once My Account has Been Funded?
Once your Gold IRA account is funded via an IRA transfer, rollover, or more, you can then purchase gold for your account using a precious metals dealer or platform.
Your custodian will usually have a list of reputable precious metals dealers they work with to help you find the finest precious metals.
What Type of Gold Can I Purchase for My Gold IRA?
Your Gold IRA can be supplied with gold bullions, gold rounds, and gold coins. However, they are required to be produced by manufacturers accredited by BMA, LME, NYMEX/COMEX, or NYSE/LIFFE/.
The gold must also meet the minimum fineness requirement for gold, which for gold bars and gold rounds is 99.9%. Gold coins must also have a minimum fineness of 99.9%, with the exception of the Gold American Eagle, which must have a minimum fineness of 99.5%.
How Long Does it Take to Rollover My IRA?
The time it takes to roll over an IRA depends on various factors.
However, the specialists at the company you choose will help you with all the necessary paperwork for your rollover and provide you with an estimate of how long it will take for the process to complete.